Monday, September 08, 2008

Motivation, Balance and the Daily Grind

I've already started on the drawings for the next release, but my lips are sealed until they're ready to launch.

In the meantime, I thought I'd share a little about what I do outside of the DoodleFactory drawings. I work as a Graphics Manager for a music company in my day job. A lot of my work is non-creative (uploading files to our websites, answering emails about how something prints, shipping digital bundles across the globe), but I also do my fair share of photo retouching and designing posters and singles, which I consider the "fun" part of my job.



Recently I received a performance award and a promotion at work, which makes me think I'm taking all the right steps in climbing that corporate ladder. I'm extremely fortunate to work for a boss who appreciates what I have to offer and never misses an opportunity to make me feel valued in the department. It's not too far off from the feeling I get when I see how well people respond to the DoodleFactory images. Hearing all the positive comments is such great motivation and keeps me striving to do a good job.

I'm curious to know what you all do, whether it's working in an office or running your own household. Do you feel like you have balance in your life? Do you like your job, and how is your personal/creative time impacted by your daily duties and chores?

I often feel drained by the daily grind and my constant quest is to find that elusive "balance" and the energy to do more than I already am.

4 comments:

  1. Hi there! TFS and congratulations on your award, promotion and on having a great boss. I like the stuff you posted, especially the Weezer thing.
    I work in an office in the sales department of a large telecom provider in Sweden (I'm not in sales like my colleagues, I take care of a lot of admin issues). I like my work and especially my colleagues. I work 6 hours a day, which gives me a little extra time for my kids. I agree with you, it's hard to find the right balance. Work, domestic chores, spending time with my family and friends and cardmaking -4-6 extra hours every day would be appreciated..:)
    Can't wait to see your next DF release - you're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love getting to know you better - and congrats on the awards! Great to hear that your work is appreciated! You deserve it! :)

    As you already know, I'm a physician, just finishing my internship at a GP's clinic. I really love my job, and I feel very fortunate being able to help people. Every day is different from the next, I'm meeting a lot of different patients, seeing interesting things and getting challenged all the time.

    Last year, when I worked at a hospital I wasn't happy at all: having LONG working hours (24h on duty in the weekends), a LOT of stress, feeling insufficient, dealing with embittered nurses and a depressing environment..
    Experiencing how it is to work as a GP makes me sure that this is what I want. Now the future seems brighter again.

    ..and as I'm only working 8.30 to 16.00 and NO weekends now, I've got more time for leasure activities - as being creative with paper and color :)

    Thinking of that, I'm really looking forward to your next sheat of awesome doodles-stamps!

    Take care, sweety!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!

    I was an Escrow Officer until the stress and BS was just too much, so I became the Manager of a Financial Aid dept. Another job I was not so happy about. I decided life was too short and now I'm taking classes to become certified in Medical billing/coding. I *love* the atmosphere of hospitals & nursing homes.

    I'm not sure I'll have balance until I'm back in work and have children on the way.

    Right now I can create when I feel the need. I will miss that someday, so I'm trying to take advantage!

    *love* your Doodles, please keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love hearing more about you! Congratulations on the award & promotion! seems like exciting work! My job that brings in $ is at a local homebuilder in A/P - boring but I like it. Since it's data entry I can dream about my next project! I am a stamp demo as well so that allows me to feed my creativity & teach others. Balance? I think it's pretty good but with all this work, I feel my spirituality take a back seat which is not good.

    ReplyDelete