Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Gio's Sweet Pad

Hey lookit, I made my first step-card (or is it a stair-card? I don't know!)


I wanted to use my newly mounted stamps from the Sweet Shoppe set, but I was having issues making things "fit". In a EUREEKA moment, I remembered the "step-cards" I'd seen circulating the stamping web recently. I googled one of the tutorials but quickly threw all direction out the window. I'm learning I'm one of those "cut-first, measure later" types, but luckily this stair-thing is pretty simple and my measuring indiscretions were all easy enough to cover over.

In its flattened state, this card is a bit crowded, but the accordian steps give Gio lots of breathing room and space to romp around. I'm thinking of running a ribbon through the steps on either edge to help pull the card together (literally), but I need to upgrade my ribbon/thread supply and there's probably no room anyway.

Speaking of supplies - Tracey helped me acquire a bunch of new copic pens (whoo!) and even sent me some special cardstock and inks so I wouldn't have that runny problem I had a few entries back. Worked like a charm - now all I need is a brain that can properly grasp shading and highlights.

11 comments:

  1. Your card looks fabulous!!! I love it :). My doodle factory stamps have been gathering dust for too long.. eeeek! Where does all the time disappear. I'd better dig them up and get stamping :). And copics.. aah, they are the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOOOOOOVVVEEEE this!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your card is so SWEEEET! I love it, have to try it I do!

    have to share a few helpful links with you

    Marianne Copic Markers tips

    Pure Luxury cardstock vs PTI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh...this is fabulous!! It is very hard to believe you are new to card making!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did a great job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Irene--this ROCKS!!!
    No one would know you have just begun stamping (probably something to do with the art background--LOL!!)

    Great layout, colors, and coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is great! I think you already got the coloring with shading and everything, it's really adorable. I love the new stamps, I have been playing with a few of them and will soon be posting a few cards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is FANTASTIC!!! HOLY COW!!! You should submit this card to a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder though with that comparison of Pure Lux vs. PTI Cardstock... one is 80lb and one is 120lb.. I wonder if any 120lb cardstock would work the same for less bleed thru? My other problem with 120 is when you want to cut out and layer images, they are rather thick and difficult to cut out. I think the 120lb would be better for direct coloring on a card base where maybe the 80 would still be better for cutting out images that get mounted on top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wait now that I looked again, PTI is actually 110 lb cardstock. So that throws that idea out the window. Gotta check out that new Gina K. Cardstock now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of course I don't mind, go ahead! Besides it's your stamp, I just colored it. :) The Swedish sentiment means "congrats on your new castle" in case you didn't know.
    About the coloring - I don't use markers, I use Rangers Distress Ink Refillers with water and brush! I'm very eager to try Copics though, it seems like an entirely different technique. It's just that I know myself, if I try it and like it I'm gonna want every shade there is...

    ReplyDelete