Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The City Dweller's Garden

When I first moved to L.A., I found a cute little apartment at an incredible price. I even had an outdoor stairwell that allowed me to test my green thumb. Unfortunately, the cute little apartment was seized by developers and I eventually had to move in to Michael's dark, downtown loft which was a death sentence for most of my plants. Now that we're in a sunny apartment again, I've very slowly been bringing back the green. I've been a little hesitant because of the loss of my last plants and I'm still navigating through the challenges of the window garden.

Yesterday, I was lured into a local plant shop by the promise of a giant sale. The savings were lackluster, but I could not resist these lovely succulents. The shop-lady offered to plant them in the box for me, but that would have taken all the fun out of it! I know these guys really love being outdoors, so I hope their new window home gives them enough sunlight to keep them happy.





9 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks really nice! :D

    I love that kind of "crafting" too - but I never really find time for it nowadays. Having said that - we DO have a house with a BIG garden, so I do my share of "gardening" still. ;) But that's not as fun as buying new plants and arranging them nicely, just as you have!!

    Take care!
    ♥Jeanette♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty, I love that little ball plant I have never seen anything like that around here. Too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so nice! I wish I could do that...unfortunately all I have to do make a plant die is just look at it - I'm completely hopeless when it comes to that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I {{heart}} succulents, too :) I'm hoping the ones I planted in my garden last year (that are supposed to be winter hardy) come back. You did a beautiful job planting them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful arrangement! Succulents are so cute - especially that "peas on a string" type! Unfortunately I can't brag about having green fingers...guess I'm better at treating people.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flowers I use are mostly Prima, the three pink ones on the card you were asking about are from Prima anyway. The white rose I don't know what brand it is, but I know that Prima has roses like that too. Otherwise I also use a lot of Petaloo flowers - I just love them!

    /Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha, your comment on my Cliff card cracked me up! I havn't thought about it before but your right, it's really weird that there is a penguin in the tropics set!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your window garden is beautiful, Irene!! I hope it loves it's new spot!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh...succulents are awesome! Check out this blog. It's my mom's UPS guy...haha. He loves them too.

    http://www.leastbest.com/tags/?/succulents

    ReplyDelete