Friday, April 24, 2009

Has Everything Been Done Before?

Sometimes I wonder if there's a collective consciousness where stamp companies draw their next releases from. Last month it seemed like babies were everywhere, or at least I'd seen a bunch of simultaneous baby releases. I'm sure baby stamps are nothing new, but do you ever notice these things seem to happen in waves?

In January, I'd seen these pillows posted on a design blog and I asked Tracey if we could do a set of victorian furniture as a future release. Tracey loved the idea of giving the DF characters the chance to play house, especially since we'd just started experimenting with the background scenes. But then came Valentines, and Easter, and we'd talked about the people set since last year. Not long ago, I finally emailed Tracey the first few drawings I had lined up for the furniture set and we outlined all the other items that needed to be drawn. I was crushed when I saw the sneak peeks posted for another stamp company which included a victorian chair and some of the items we'd discussed.

I was almost thinking we were going to have to scrap this next set, because I'd hate to be labeled a copy-cat, but I think I just have to chalk this up to that mysterious wavelength in the 5th dimension that we're subconsciously swimming in. Also, I predict classic furniture is going to be the next big thing in stamping. What do you think?

9 comments:

  1. Urgh!! That is my pet peeve. Sometimes (especially when I'm involved in challenges), I feel this enormous stress to upload and share something as quickly as possible before someone else beats me to the chase. Even this past week, I got a not-so-nice email about that stitching tutorial I posted saying that they'd seen lots of people do that. Okay, I didn't say I invented embroidering people!!! I just knew I'd get questions if I didn't post something. LOL

    I know what you're saying, but your stuff is so fantastic and unique that I don't think anyone could reasonably accuse you of being a copycat artist. Seriously, there is nothing out there anywhere near as fabulously unique as the DF line.

    I am SO SO excited about a victorian furniture line! What a fantastic idea! When does this come out? I know you've been so so busy, but...GET TO WORK! hahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kathy! I knew this furniture had been done - ugh! how frustrating! Yours is AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how that happens? Isn't is crazy! I hope you still make them with the amazing style of your doodles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work and i LOVE your stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOHHH!!!I love the chair in your image... just think... paper piece the cushions with vintage DP... gorgeous!! I say GO FOR IT! The pillow designs were kind of sketchy line drawings, where yours would be classic and bold in your awesome style!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think it really matters if it has been done. What will matter is the style and the lines. You have a great style and that is what keeps me coming back for more.

    I'm dying for somebody to come up with some good retro 70's stuff though. There have been one or two stamps but I really like the DF's style of doing things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so agree with Kathy. Your work is so special and unique and your furniture line is going to be so much better than any other ever could! Keep up the good work and never mind the others. I love the chair (and of course little Izzy)! Looking forward to your next release!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, the furniture HAS to be done!!! Agree with you - it's probably the next big thing, that's why there are more of them popping up out there now.

    I hope there will be a DF furniture line, I'd love to see how that would turn out, especially after having seen the chair... Gorgeous!!!

    / Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Personally, nothing is original...it's all been done before, somewhere at some time. I can't wait to see your twist on it!!

    ReplyDelete