Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Trying Something New

I'm supposed to be working on another set of stamps (actually there are many in the queue), but yesterday I felt like doing something that wasn't for a project and served no real purpose. I feel like my illustration style has become defined by the stamps I draw and I admit I draw stamps the way I do because in the beginning I somewhat mistakenly thought rubber stamps were supposed to have big bold lines. I knew nothing about rubber stamps when I first started this venture and while its nice that the DoodleFactory has its own distinctive look, sometimes I feel like breaking out of the box.

And so, I sat at my coffee table yesterday with the intention of creating something that was not a goofy character with fat, thick lines. I guess she's kind of like a Grace Girl, but different.



For this piece I used some recycled paper, my mechanical pencil, copic markers and paper-pieced her hair, feather and ruffle. I'd love to draw more people, but I think I only like drawing heads. Bodies give me so much trouble.

7 comments:

  1. You are SUCH a talent - I just love her!!! Beautiful and stylish. The subtle colouring is gorgeous! :D

    Take care!
    / Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! She is just beautiful! I wish I had just a tiny bit of your talent...*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you took some "me" time. Its a wonderful drawing, and I hope it lifted your spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely GORGEOUS!! I love the soft colors you used - she's a dream!! Good for you for taking "me" time... we all need that sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about creating rubber stamps! I'm learning as well and I love your designs. You have a variety of styles I think- Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Oh how I'd love to have some artwork made of you on my wall...you're a true artist.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. get out of the box, out of the box! can't wait to see what you will come up with next!

    (Don't get me wrong...the doodlefactory will always be number one!)

    ReplyDelete