Sunday, November 01, 2009

Deerie Me

I figured out what I wanted to be for Halloween on Friday night, and put my costume together relatively quickly on Saturday.


I made my own horns out of Ultralight Sculpey, which is feather-light and quite easy to work with. Actually it's almost too easy to mold, so I put a wire in the center to help keep the bend while it was baking in the oven. After it was done, I painted them with watered-down acrylic paint.



Before baking, I also fluted the bottoms and poked holes around the base so I could sew the horns to my headband. This part looked quite "inelegant" as Mike put it, but it was secure and so comfortable I often forgot I was wearing antlers.



It was handy to have an artistic boyfriend around to help with my make-up, which we copied from a photograph I found on this thread.



The final look!

What did you all do, or dress as for Halloween?


**EDIT**For those curious about what Mike dressed as, he went as Twitter. [Here's a photograph].

10 comments:

  1. You are SO CUTE!!! Great outfit!

    I didn't dress up at all, since we don't celebrate Halloween in my family - it's not a big holiday here in Sweden. ;)

    Take care!!
    / Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh deer, you look GORGEOUS!!! Awesome job with the antlers! I stayed at home this year... we had friends bring their kiddo's over... and watched some scary movies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my!! You rock!!! How would have thought of this

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe you make a super cute deer! That is just fabulous, I absolutely love it. The antlers look amazing and the face paint is awesome. What did mike go as?

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO adorable!! WOW

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little paint on your gorgeous face and beautiful dark eyes makes one perfect deer..Wow! I'm in awe of your creativity.

    My Halloween was spent at a friends' house warming / birthday party. We don't celebrate Halloween here in Denmark, but we did kind of celebrate anyway. ;)

    PS. I don't know why, but I always get to think of Amelie in Montmartre when I see pictures of you :)

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is a COOL costume!! wow, Mike is good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gosh!!! LOVE this! Such a beautiful deer...!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, that's the most beautiful deer I've ever seen! A totally awesome costume, you are so amazingly creative! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not dress for halloween! But you did an outstanding job. (Next year, perhaps I need to be Twitter! haha)

    ReplyDelete