Monday, November 09, 2009

Weekend of Art

This weekend my boyfriend was part of a very interesting project called "1 Day of Art". On Friday night, he and a group of a dozen+ artists met with the creators of (t)here magazine where they learned about the project and were interviewed for the publication and documentary. Each artist randomly selected a word, then spent the next 24 hours creating a work of art centered around that theme.

Mike used every one of those hours and didn't sleep all night. Because his project was so ambitious (with the 4 ft x 8 ft scale, and his time-consuming choice of medium), he didn't quite finish, though he probably needs just a few more hours to fill in the rest. I think by the end of the 20th hour, he was ready to fall over from the lack of sleep, but he pushed through and I passed out well before he did on Saturday night.


That's the piece hanging on his studio wall. His word(s) were "Modern/Power" and the photo doesn't quite do it justice. He did his own documentation of the process using his time-lapse camera, and I'll post the video when he finishes. I've posted this before, but here's another time-lapse video he did of a much smaller "tape painting", so you get an idea of how he works.

The film crew for the documentary dropped in on our apartment mid-day Saturday and I hid in our bedroom while they interviewed my tired boyfriend. I was wrapped up in my own Day of Art, working madly on the next DoodleFactory set, which I'd been putting off for ages. I finished! And while I can't show you the full set, here's a sneak peek and huge hint of what's to come:

5 comments:

  1. looks awesome, you are both so talented.

    the sneak peek looks pretty cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty darn cool. You guys are so incredibly interesting they should make you two a reality show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, looks like you finally used that idea..:) I'm very eager so see the whole set!
    I agree with T, you and Mike are both amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there! Come on over and see Bogo as Santa - he is so stinkin' cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGosh...that new set looks soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete