Monday, March 28, 2011

Doodle Doppelgangers

A few weeks ago I was flipping channels and landed on the Canadian cartoon network, Qubo. They were playing a cartoon I'd never seen called "Spliced", and when this weird chicken-cow character came on, something tickled my memory receptors and I exclaimed to Mike that it looked like a character I'd drawn before! I pulled out the notebook with the original drawing, and Mike humored me saying it looked similar.

I forgot about it until tonight, when I ended up on Qubo playing "Spliced" again. This time they had a character called Oct-O-Cat, which again prompted me to think of a character I'd drawn years ago. I finally remembered a "character design community" I joined in 2006 called "Mojizu". I was into that site for a hot minute, then got lazy/busy/bored and stopped posting after a brief burst. Luckily, my drawings are still preserved there with date-stamps and everything.

My weird chicken mutant character on the left, Scene from "Spliced" on the right:


My Oct O Cat character on the left, Scene from "Spliced" on the right:


For the record, Wikipedia says Spliced first aired in 2009. If you click on my drawings above, it'll link to the original post with comments from 2006. I'm not implying there are any shenanigans going on, but it's a weird coincidence, no?

7 comments:

  1. They are definitely very similar, weird! Yours are so much better though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your chicken is cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just had to tell you that I have recently been published in Stamper's Sampler Catch Up Issue using one of YOUR stamps. :) Love your Doodlefactory images.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this neat web page

    ReplyDelete